Runny nosed chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by binza1979, Mar 17, 2013.

1. binza1979

binza1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    I have 2 chicks with runny noses and another one that is puffed up and seems content to stand with her eyes closed. But, all seem to be eating and drinking normally. I really don't want them to get sicker and I don't want any more of my 15 chicks in my brooder to get sick either. The chicks range from 3 to 4 weeks old. What should I treat with?

I can head to the feed store in the morning to pick up whatever I need. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. binza1979

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    Anyone? The chicks aren't sneezing any more than normal. The snot is clearish/yellowish.

3. lily12

lily12 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    heres some info i found on the internet but this is for chickens not chicks so maybe dont use so much vinger.
    To reduce mucus production which can clog the chickens nasal passages and cause coughing. Add two teaspoons of cider vinegar to each gallon of water provided. Do not over do this treatment as they will not drink water too heavily acidulated. Use this treatment for three to four days and do not provide any other water source so that all the chickens are getting the same water. For birds that are heavily congested, use warm water and a soft cloth to wipe away built up mucus from the beak area.
    There are also tonics available from the store where you buy you chicken feed.

4. binza1979

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    Thanks. I will pick up some ACV with the mother in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by