Runny noses

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AlphaRoo45, Oct 5, 2013.

1. AlphaRoo45

AlphaRoo45 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2013
    The Thumb in Michigan
    I have a small flock of 12 right now and have 2 RIR hens that have runny noses and sneezing. Should I get tylan50 and just medicate the birds showing symptoms or should I go ahead and do the whole flock? Please all advice would be helpful.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you ever had respiratory disease before in these or other chickens? If it were me, I would separate the sick ones as far away as I could, and watch them for additional symptoms--bubbles in eyes, swelling of face and eyes, and acting ill. You can get the Tylan and hold off since this could be a virus, maybe infectious bronchitis. If they develop any other symptoms, I would medicate them. Tylan 50 dosage is 5 mg per pound roughly, so 1/2 to 1 ml would be an average dose. Some recommend more, but 1/2 ml in the breast muscle and 1/2 ml under the skin of the neck is about maximum. Some give it orally, but take care not to choke the bird by giving it too much and too fast. Here is the disease page for reading about symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. AlphaRoo45

Sep 18, 2013
    The Thumb in Michigan
    This flock has been going through this for a few weeks now and I thought I was in the clear cuz my vet gave me antibiotic to put in their water. They all seemed to be fine for a few days then today I see to of them with same symptoms all over again.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It really is good to know what disease you are dealing with, so you can treat with the correct medicine or cull. Sometimes you can be dealing with more than one disease. Necropsy by your state vet is the only way you can know for sure. You can get the number of your state vet's office in this link: http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/statevets.aspx

5. AlphaRoo45

Sep 18, 2013
    The Thumb in Michigan
    Thank you for the information.

6. AlphaRoo45

Sep 18, 2013
    The Thumb in Michigan
    Had to cull the flock but kept my two Jersey Giants who are doing great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by