runny poo and runny egg-white

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Freia, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Freia

Freia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    I've inherited a flock of 11 laying hens. They all act very healthy and happy.

2 things are concerning me:

-1- When I clean out their bedding, I notice that there's an occasional runny poo. Almost all are nice and firm and dry, but here and there there's just wet, soiled bedding. I can't figure out whether it's from just one bird or if they all just have an occasional wet-one. Do chickens have a wet poo now and then just like people do, or is it likely that I have a sick bird in there somewhere?

-2- I have a happy little RIR that lays the hugest eggs: 75-80 grams. They're always the same odd shape - a perfect oval, where I can't tell what's the top or bottom. Her whites are always very watery. Could there be a problem with her? The others' eggs are not that way - neither weirdly shaped nor watery. I tried looking up watery whites on this forum, but everybody seems to provide the same link - to a website that doesn't exist.

2. Freia

Jan 11, 2012
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    1. I'd consider runny poop as normal, but worming may be in order especially if you dont know their prior history.
    2. Watery whites can possibly be an indicator of Infectious Bronchitis (IB.) There are usually other symptoms though. Here's a link, scroll down to Infectious Bronchitis:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. Freia

Jan 11, 2012
    I've considered the infections bronchitis as a cause of the runny white. However, there are no other symptoms. Also, no other hens have the runny eggs, and I thought IB was very contagious. I wonder though, if they've had IB a long time ago, whether the damage to that particular hen might be permanent.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by