1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Runny poo II: cider vinegar?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by erinschickens, May 8, 2008.

1. erinschickens

erinschickens New Egg

May 4, 2008
    I wrote a few days ago to say that one of my new chicks had runny poo.

I still think that one does. But the one I thought does now appears to have fine, solid poo, though she's definitely not growing nearly as quickly as the others. But someone is still making little runny ones.

Someone recommended 1T cider vinegar in a gallon of drinking water. Is this a good thing to do?

Their feed is medicated.

Thanks!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I don't give baby chicks apple cider vinegar in their water.......I'd just continue fresh water and their feed...I've had hatched chicks have runny poo for a few days , some longer than others....might be just the way they absorbed their yok sac...

Maybe someone else on here does this but I never have...Hope they chime in for you....

3. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    I don't speak from experience (since I don't have my chickens yet), but I have an issue of Backyard Poultry magazine here and there's an article on putting ACV in the water. It recommends one teaspoon per quart, and that you watch the chicks to make sure that they will drink it. It says if they are going to reject it because of the taste you should be able to tell right away

4. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I use apple cider vinegar on mine. It works within a couple of days. My chickies are all on medicated feed still. The oldest ones are 6 weeks. How old are your chicks? I dont know that I'd do it to super tiny ones.

5. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    You can add probiotics to the feed to reduce runny poo. I had some silkies that got poopy butt and had runny poo and I mixed a capsule of probiotics for people in the feed and it stopped within hours. The poopy butt has to be cleaned off or simply snip the poopy fuzz off if you can.

6. Ese_N_Gracie

Ese_N_Gracie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    the probiotics sound like a good ides....mine like yogurt and granola mixed together...another way to get them a range of probiotics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by