Runny Poo . . . what now?

montana girl

Songster
12 Years
Aug 23, 2007
Kalispell, Montana
6 days ago I found my tiny little bantam hen (not sure what kind she is) listless and not getting up. I grabbed her up, isolated her, and watched her. She was eating and drinking if I put the food in front of her, but she didnt want to walk around. I watched her for a bit and noticed that her poo was very runny and green. Lots of water in it.

I have teramycin, so I made her a waterer with teramycin in it and after 2 days she was acting herself, but still had runny poo. It has now been 6 days, she has had the terramycin water for that duration, but her poo is still runny, although not bright green as before.

What should I do next? Could the runny poo be from the antibiotic?

Thanks for helps
smile.png

Antibiotics can cause diarrhea. They kill the GOOD bacteria of the gut along with the bad.

Discontinue the antibiotics as they didn't work to stop her diarrhea. Give her yogurt daily (1 teaspoon) for a week mixed in some cooked oatmeal to help with her diarrhea.

Could you also let us know what she ususally eats, how old she is, etc? Has she ever been wormed? Do you have any Corid or Sulmet around? Of the two, Corid is preferable.

Let's start with this and I'll be looking for your reply.

Sorry I wasnt able to get back to you, I had no internet for a while.

She is her usual self now. I kept her isolated for 7 days, and am giving the whole flock yogurt every other day. Whatever it was seems to have passed.

This summer has been wet, and the run floor is dirt and clay (we have lots of clay in the soil here) hence the drainage was bad. We put a truckload of sand in the run and spread it out. No more smell, no more flies.

Can poorly drained run enclosures cause bacterial gut infections?

Thanks for your help.

BTW, she is 22 weeks old and is being given layer crumbles in anticipation of future events. Her comb is not red however. Most all of the other girls combs are, and there is no way I can keep her food seperate.

Thank you again!

She might just be a little behind on development because of whatever she was fighting. And yes - poorly drained runs are often the number one cause of all sorts of things: enhanced worm problems, coccidiosis even in adult birds, all manner of bacteria, toxins (fungus and bacterial), respiratory illness, etc etc.

The sand was the best idea ever. The smell you're not smelling is the bacteria that are no longer thriving. I had forgotten about the benefits against flies; will have to add that to my list when I get on my soapbox. /wink

I'm very glad to hear this has passed. The yogurt should really help all your birds be more efficient with their feed and have easier first eggs. It's really great stuff.

Sounds wonderful! Sure hope you have your first egg from her some time soon - that would be great. Let us know, will you, please?

Back
Top Bottom