1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Runny Poo :/

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by michigan4Hgirl, Apr 11, 2012.

1. michigan4Hgirl

michigan4Hgirl New Egg

Apr 11, 2012
    Uh oh. I have been noticing for a couple of days now that some of the chick's poo (they are between 1 week and 2 weeks old) have had some runnier poo. I have checked them for pasty but and have come up negative. Is this common? Should I be worried?
    We have been feeding them Purina Start & Grow medicated and have had them for almost a week now. We thought it might be the heat so we raised the lamp, which seemed to make them happier, but the runny poo is still there.

Any suggestions? We did just start them on some grit last night and gave them a few meal worms as a treat.

Help!?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    There are two types of poo that is normal for chicks. The normal stuff, then there is this runny, brownish poo that is kind of stinky, called cecal droppings.

Often, when chicks get really excited, they will have the cecal droppings, and it's totally normal.

Hope this helps!
    Sharon

3. jrsno1fan

jrsno1fan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    I'm fairly new to this as well, but I've done alot of reading and I think (old timers correct me if I'm wrong) that 1-2 weeks is a little early for grit and treats. I didn't give my chicks anything other then chick starter till they were 4-5 weeks. Good luck though.

4. michigan4Hgirl

michigan4Hgirl New Egg

Apr 11, 2012
    Giving them meal worms really isn't any different than if they were raised by a hen and taken outside to scratch everyday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by