Runny poo

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmanderson777, Apr 12, 2012.

1. jmanderson777

jmanderson777 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    I picked up a new batch of chicks on Saturday. I am feeding them Dumor chick starter feed from tractor supply. I also got an young silkie from the same place also on the starter feed. I noticed today when I was changing out their shavings that several of them along with the silkie have reddish brown runny poo. What could be causing this? The silkie doesnt always have runny poo but there were several patches along with when I moved her while i was cleaning she dropped a runny load. It smells like dog poo if that matters.

2. Texokie1

Texokie1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    Ditto that. I have a salmon faverolle with the same issue. She's about three weeks old...and in with seven others with no issues. Still eating/drinking, but just a bit lethargic. Anyone out there have any ideas?

3. ich-knut

ich-knut Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    I'd give them some yogurt to add some good bacteria to her gut. This will take a day or two to see result. One of my silkie chick had a slight red tint to her poo and after I gave them all yogurt, no more red in their poo.

When I want to dose my silkies with vitamins I add mesh to yogurt and add a few drops of children vitamin and they go nuts for it. This is what I give my silkies and easter eggers to perk them up if I notice that they are acting a little lethargic.

My chickens are 2 yrs old and even now they will give me brown poo that is the consistency of peanut butter but stink real bad. This normally happens when I give them yogurt, it is good for their gut but makes their poo stink. When they eat pine shaving, they poop out black tar like poo.

Hope this helps.

4. jmanderson777

jmanderson777 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    yeah i was wondering if it was the change in diet. my dog gets the runs when i change her food.

5. MineAlways

MineAlways Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    SW PA
  6. blake2727

blake2727 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    My chicks poo was runny and it seemed to harden up when I started adding apple cider vinigar to their water. It may not have had anything to do with it but it seems like it helped.

7. Texokie1

Texokie1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    I consulted the often-mentioned Poop Chart from the UK...I'm not sure I have a problem after all. I'll try the apple cider vinegar (just to be on the safe side) - we keep a bunch on hand to jump start one of our horses when he goes off feed. (I've also heard that is reduces the risk of sand colic in horses...not sure if it does anything beneficial for their gut, though...) It may be that my faverolle either gets stressed out when I turn them out (that's when I notice it), or that she just saves up the stinky poos for me. [​IMG]

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    What you are seeing is a cecal poo (I think that's what its called). Anyway, its totally normal. After a few "regular" solid type poos, you'll see a runny one, to clean everything out so to speak. And yes, they can very in color. Just wait until you start getting the poops that have some intestinal lining shedding in them, that'll really freak your stuff out!

9. linkedsilas

linkedsilas Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2011
    Durham,NC
    I posted about this as well. Mine had it and I think it has to do with the food. In a while you should notice that the poops look normal but yea, its normal to have some runny ones mixed in there. Scared me at first

10. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh boy! I can't wait! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by