1. Missbehavin

Missbehavin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Texas
    Well I got a new chicken and it seems like it is a little sick. She is sneezing a little and I can hear she has some congestion. I have her away from the others and I am giving Duramycin-10. She seems to be getting better. No runny nose and still eating and doing fine other than congestion. My question is can Duramycin be causing her to have a little runny stool? This is my first adult bird and I want to do everything possible for her. I got her and another from the same farm store in Austin and the others seem to be fine. She has been on the antibiotics for about two days now. I went back to where I got her and the other birds there seem to be fine. They all came from the same person and are tested. Can she just have a small cold? How is it transmitted? Can it be through the poop?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  2. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Far too often, folks grab antibiotics w/o knowin' what they can/will do, whether for themselves, or for their animals/birds. Trial/error isn't the best way to find out if your birds will benefit in any way from thier use: First, ya gotta know what they've got, before you should consider treatment w/ antibiotics 'n such (esp. when using something w/ a rather narrow spectrum )-;~

Immediately, you should put all birds on an astringent solution of Apple Cider Vinegar, at the rate of four teaspoons to the gallon (but not in galvanized metal containers). The tannin w/in ACV will reduce the viscosity of the mucus, allowing them to more easily expel it, and removes coatings w/in the mouth, throat and intestines, which improves uptake of nutrients/vitamins.

What Duramycin-10 is actually effective against:

Control of chronic respiratory disease (CRD air sac disease) caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Escherichia coli, infectious synovitis caused by Mycoplasma synoviae susceptible to tetracycline hydrochloride.

Poultry-related Warnings:
    Do not slaughter birds for food w/in 4 days of treatment.
    Do not use for more than 14 consecutive days in birds.
    Not for use in turkeys or chickens producing eggs for human consumption.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  3. Missbehavin

Missbehavin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Texas
    Thank you for the reply. I was going off the advise of the farm and ranch store that I bought her from. I will try your method if this ever happends again. HOPEFULLY NOT. First time raising chickens and am new to the process. I will learn and hopefully give good advise like you some day.
    Thanks from Texas

4. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    You're welcome, and ... ain't like I don't make mistakes all the time, despite my efforts to constantly learn as I go ~'-)

The ACV is fine for your birds, and many folks keep their own on it all the time ... and, in regard to the antibiotics 'n such? Remember that anything you put in your chicken is gonna potentially wind up in anybody that eats 'em, or the the eggs they produce.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by