Runny poo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KelsiNS, Aug 9, 2013.

1. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    I have 28 eleven day old chicks and 11 three day old chicks in brooders in my room. I clean out the brooders daily, twice a day if needed, and bleach the whole thing weekly. They get acv in their water and are on unmedicated chick starter.

They eat like feathered cattle and sleep between spells of eating and "flying" around the brooder knocking stuff over. All in all, happy chickens.

Today i noticed a foul smell. Like..."holy hell did i step in cat poop and kick a skunk?!" Foul. There are 1-2 runny poos in each brooder. Not bloody, not off color-but STANKY. Kinda like my 12 week old girls poo every fifth or so time they poo. Nobody will fess up to who did it (chicken solidarity), and they are all flapping around knocking food everywhere as usual.

Should i be concerned?

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Here is the Poop Chart :) Enjoy! I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  3. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    Youre my hero! ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Baby chick poop stinks and most bedding makes it worse. If you have less than six chicks you can try using terrycloth towels and changing them at least once a day.If you have lots of chicks look forward to getting them out into the coop.

5. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    Could it just ve cecal, or the veginning of coccidiosis? They got GroGel yesterday when the new kids arrived, but i would think that would be out of their systems by now . There is more runny poo now-dont know if its tge same chicks or if some are just getting runny later than others.

6. hrhta812

hrhta812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Lebanon, IN
    Personally, I would not take any chances and I would start putting Corid in the water - I lost three this week. I just posted a thread about being vigilant against cocci. The droppings will show abnormality before the chicks' behavior does. Everyone has their own way of doing things, but I am going to take the cautious route in the future. :)

7. pilgie

pilgie Out Of The Brooder

Who knew??? Thanks for TMI!! [​IMG]So now I don't have to worry that my chicken's poop is weird.... but yesterday I noticed some poop stuck around/in one chick's back end. Is it normal for them to be a bit.... ummm.... unclean in this area or does some ever get stuck and plug up the works?

8. pilgie

pilgie Out Of The Brooder

What is Corid?

9. hrhta812

hrhta812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Lebanon, IN
    Amprolium - antibiotic for livestock. I got a packet of powder at TSC; it's sold for cattle, but you can use it on chickens. 1/2 tsp. per gallon of water is the mix I've settled on after reading various opinions from other chicken folk. Mine were very sick so I started with a double dose - full tsp. per gallon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  10. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    Ill grab a bag just in case if we head that way today (tsc is 45 minutes away)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by