Runny pooh

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jenni56, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Jenni56

Jenni56 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2013
    Pocono's Pa
    I have a large flock of different breeds. Some of my birds have very runny pooh. Is it what their eating or not eating?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Food will affect the chickens' poop, especially if they are eating greens and grasses, or too many treats. Hot weather causes watery stools, worms can cause diarrhea, as well as coccidiosis, and other diseases. Yogurt (plain unsweetened) twice a week or probiotics may help firm things up. If they are acting sick (lethargic, puffed up, poor appetite, and ruffled feather, I would treat them for coccidia with liquid Corid (amprollium) 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Is your flock on a regular deworming program?

4. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
  5. Jenni56

Sep 23, 2013
    Pocono's Pa
    Thank you I just treated them last week for the coccidia with the Corid. My Crevecoeur that was very sick is much better. I just gave the yogurt with medicated food mixed in, them seem to like it that way, and I'm sure the eat it then. Thank you for the info.

6. Jenni56

Sep 23, 2013
    Pocono's Pa
    Thank You very helpful

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some people recommend repeating Corid treatment with half strength treatment after a week or two, just top be safe. Probiotics and vitamins in the water are helpful after treatment to replace the healthy bowel bacteria and vitamins lost from the disease.

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It is also not recommended to use yogurt or buttermilk while treating with Corid since those products tend to coat the intestine and may reduce the effectiveness of the Corid. That is what makes yogurt or buttermilk helpful in slowing down a case of coccidiosis if there is a delay in getting the meds to treat it. It is ok to use them after the treatment is finished.

9. Jenni56

Sep 23, 2013
    Pocono's Pa
    I did not give the Corid with the yogurt and medicated feed. I waited a week in between. But thank you very much for the heads up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by