Runny poop and acts tired

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mrsroeder2012, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Mrsroeder2012

Mrsroeder2012 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2012
    Jamestown,Ky
    My Coop
    I havea blue lace red Wyandotte that has runny poop and she does act like her self she just lays down and tired, I have some cooked eggs to eat and she didn't touch them and I have antibiotics in her water and her laying mash what is wrong with her

2. ashcons

ashcons Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    You could take a fecal sample to the vet to see if they can tell you something based on what's in the poop. If it's coccidiosis or worms, the anti-bacterial (are you using some sort of *ycin?) won't do anything good/useful. There's a picture with descriptions of what could be wrong based on your bird's poop somewhere around here, though I wouldn't rely on that alone to start treatment.

I can't remember who posted this, but someone made a useful document, though a vet at the local co-op told me worms won't cause green coloring in the poop contrary to the document:
    https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=A99F88838D34E678!248&app=Word&authkey=!ANnOAFQ4B4ONv2w

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might want to examine her all over to rule out some things. Check her crop for impaction or sour crop--first thing in the morning it should be empty and flat. If full and fluid filled it might be sour, if hard it may be impacted. Check all over and around the vent for mites and lice. This can cause anemia and acting tired. Check her vent for signs of eggbound or vent gleat. Has she layed an egg lately? Runny poop can be a sign of coccidiosis or worms. Corid is the drug to treat cocci with, and a sulfa drug like Albon, DI-METHOX, or Sulfamed-G, which are brand names for the same drug sulfadimethoxine treats cocci and is an antibiotic.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  4. theduckgirl4110

theduckgirl4110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    I would definetly do this right away. Hope you figure it out and she gets better

5. Mrsroeder2012

Mrsroeder2012 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2012
    Jamestown,Ky
    My Coop
    thank you for ur help I think that she might have worms and I am right now treating her and ill let u know what happens thank you for ur help !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by