Runny poop and loss of appetite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by libertree, Jan 5, 2014.

1. libertree

libertree Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    One of my hens was very cold and in a corner of the coop yesterday. I put her under a heat lamp and gave her warm milk and food. She drank a little but didn't eat. I brought her into the laundry room last night. She is drinking water but not eating and has runny poop. The other two seem fine. Ideas?

2. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    How old is she? Did you check her over from beak to vent checking her breathing normal or wheezing, eyes for mucus, bubbles in eyes, check for mites, lice in feathers, is her crop soft mushy, hard lumpy, does she smell, her abdomen soft, hard, can you feel an egg, is the egg in her vent area and does she walk like a penguin, check her vent with gloved finger to feel for egg, is her vent clean, smelly, any discharges, are her droppings normal, or what color are they, can you post pics of her stance, and her droppings, are her leg scales all flat no curling, no sores or lumps on bottoms of feet? Has she been wormed, dusted for lice/ mites? These are all the things I go and do when I check out a chicken that isn't acting normal. I apologize for making it all run together, it is all that runs through my head when I am checking for what could be wrong. The more info you can give the amazing people on here can help you figure out what may be wrong. Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. libertree

Jan 5, 2014
    Where do I get the Corid? There is no blood in her stool - but some is green. Legs, comb, beak and eyes look fine. She has not been walking around at all so don't know how she walks. She has not been wormed.

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Bloody stool is NOT always present with coccidosis. It depends on the strain so I would start with the corid. Corid is amprollium and it kills all strains of cocci. Corid or amprollium goes by the name corid, amprollium, or amprol. It is the same. You can find it at your feed store. . Ask them for Amprollium. They can help you find it. Hope this helps and best wishes.

6. libertree

Jan 5, 2014
    Thanks. I plan to try to find it in a little while.

7. libertree

Jan 5, 2014
    She doesn't want to walk at all, but when she does she walks like her feet hurt.

8. libertree

Jan 5, 2014
    She looks fine except for runny stool. She barely walks and acts like her feet hurt - but they are not discolored or swollen or anything. She has not eaten today or yesterday but has been drinking. She doesn't smell except for discharge stuck on her rear feathers. Not sure what mites or lice look like.

9. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  10. libertree

Jan 5, 2014
    Got powder for mites and lice. Only wormer they had for chickens was Wazine 17 (piperazine). Looks like 1 ounce per gallon of water?? Also got Corid but it is 20% not 9% so not sure how to use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by