1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Runny Poop and Swollen Abdomen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenPeep, Jan 14, 2015.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hello,
    One of my hens has recently seemed not quite herself to me. I think Monday was the first time I noticed it. She has been a little less active, though not much. She's still her perky self, but I can tell that she's just a little "off". She's been having very runny poops that range rom a mostly white liquid to clear liquid with a few brown specks (the kinds that happene when the chicken isn't eating much). They have been sticking to her rear fluff and she now has droppings stuck all over her rear. Poor girl! She also isn't eating as much. She's still interested in food and always tries to steal my food from me, but she isn't as interested. I've noticed that when I pick her up her crop is very squishy but still has a little food in it. I was cleaning the droppings off of her fluff today when I noticed that her abdomen is slightly swollen. It's not an alarming amount, but I'm still concerned. She has not been laying lately as she is a 3 year old silkie and it's the middle of winter. My 2 other girls are fine, and broody. [​IMG]
    I have noticed that mice have been getting into the chicken food at night, and so I was considering the thought that the mice could've made her sick, but I don't know how probable that is. I have been taking the food and water out of the coop at night so that the mice can't get into it. I have also been adding ACV and a pinch of electrolytes to their water.
    The thing that puzzles me is that she is still perky and is eating, but she's just a little different than usual. Does anyone know what might be up with my girl?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would probably start by deworming her with Valbazen or if you can't find that, then with SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste. Dosage of all three are 0.2 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days. I'm not sure how often silkies have egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying, but that is a common problem in older standard hens.

3. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I have thought about deworming her for a while but have never gotten around to doing it. I will go to Tractor supply as soon as I can. How do I get her to eat it?
    Thank you for your reply!

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That will work. The dose I use is 0.23ml per pound orally for *five* days if I want to treat roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms and capillary worms. If I only want to treat roundworms and cecal worms, I do the same amount, but for just one day and repeat in 10 days.

-Kathy

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Before you worm, it would be best if you could take some fresh droppings to a vet and have them check it for worm eggs, coccidia, bacteria and yeast.

Can you post a picture of her belly and one of her poop?

-Kathy

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  6. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    You can't really see the swelling in her abdomen unless you pull the fluff back and look really close, so you probably won't be able to see it in a picture. Here is a picture of her droppings. Sorry, the quality isn't great. This is better than they have been; many of them have been mostly water.
    How do I get her to eat the paste? I bought some at TSC today. I also bought some probiotic powder to put in her water.
    [​IMG]

7. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I weighed her and she was 2.75 lbs, so that equals roughly .63ml of dewormer. Is it possible to give her too much? I have measurement tools but I just want to be safe. And also, should I give it to her through a syringe?

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    SafeGuard is very safe--even giving several times the dose is safe. I've not used the horse paste, but if it will go through a syringe, that would be most accurate. Just hold her and pull down on the wattles, squirt in half the dose inside the beak, then release the wattles immediately so she can swallow. Then repeat.

9. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    It's funny you say that because this is the size of her wattles. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I will just pull down her beard. Thanks for your reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by