runny poop, chick not growing as fast

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stcroixusvi, Mar 15, 2012.

1. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    We have 4 black copper marans that are about 6 weeks old. One of them is not growing as fast. He/she is pretty much just as lively as the others, but tends to stay under the heat lamp a lot more than the other 3. The chick sometimes has a runny poop that does not look normal - but not on the poop chart. It has the color of normal poop but runny instead of firm. We feed them organic chick starter and not much else - occasionally organic lettuce and grit.

Any ideas?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would suggest stopping the lettuce. It can definitely give small animals diahrrea, so possibly it can cause that with a chick.....(Now, I'm not a food genus or anything, but that's what I would try first.)

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I agree..no lettuce. Treats are not good right now. The starter should be all they need and it will fill all their nutritional needs. You could put some polyvisol drops in their water if you're too concerned. Wouldn't worry yet! ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by