Runny poop for weeks!

pilipala

Hatching
Feb 14, 2017
Hertfordshire, UK
Hi All,
I'm new to this site and need some advice;
I have 4 Rhode Island Reds, All about 11 months old.
All 4 have had watery / loose stools for about a month now. There is no blood in it, just a greenish/ brown liquid in fairly large quantities, with the occasional white milky fluid in it. I haven't noticed any worms in there either.
They are all eating well, drinking LOTS of water, and seem to be behaving normally in every other way (maybe a couple of ruffled feathers) Their egg production has slowed down but that could be down to it being Winter time?
We recently moved their coop/run onto a concrete floor (with a generous layer of easi-chick) as their previous spot had attracted rats, which were burrowing under. But this poo problem had started before we moved them.
I have tried a course of Corid, but that hasn't made any difference.
My next step will be to take them (or a sample of their poo) to the vets, but I just wanted to see if anyone had experienced this first?
Thanks in advance.

What are you feeding them? Diet could be a cause. Worms could be a possibility too, so I would definitely recommend having a vet check their droppings for signs of worms. For now, I would offer them a probiotic, in the form of some plain yogurt or purchased supplement (like Probios). Some apple cider vinegar with the mother in it would be another digestive aid, as well.

It is normal for egg production to slow down or even stop in the winter.

They have been on layer pellets since they were about 4 months old and we have always bought the same brand. They also free range for a few hours a day on the grass and will occasionally have kitchen scraps.
I will try the probiotic, but think a sample to the vet is our next step.
Thanks for the advice
1f642.png

Back
Top Bottom