runny poop, sounds when breathing...help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by noclue, Dec 17, 2014.

1. noclue

noclue New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    hi, just got new 3 month old chickens 4 days ago. noticed one has runny rust colored poop, slow to feed and now i hear her breathing. sounds flemmy. can anyone please tell me if this is really serious? should i separate her and is there a treatment?
    thank you.

2. gabbychickens44

gabbychickens44 New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    Welcome to BYC! I'm so sorry to hear about your hen.

I'm not an expert, but she might have pasty butt. Pasty butt is when a chick's vent gets clogged w/ poop, so it cannot eat, making it feel tired. Eventually, they die if not treated Check your chick's vent. Is there poop stuck? Is that the problem? If so, wipe the chick's vent with a wet paper towel. You can also use baby wipes. ( Make sure none of the household cleaning wipes!)

I'm not sure about the breathing. Maybe someone else can help you! Hope this help, and hope your chick feels better soon :)

3. noclue

noclue New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    she does not have any droppings sticking to her vent at all. just runny rusty poop and flemmy sounding breathing.
    thank you for replying. there must be someone who has experienced this.

4. noclue

noclue New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    my new chickens had the same issue. loud breathing and very runny poop. i was told by an old timer to treat them as if they had a cold, chamomile tea, baby aspirin. i did none of these but did put in a heat light and it cleared up after a week and 1/2..
    they are all healthy now. but if I had other chickens they would have been kept separated from the rest of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by