Runny poop watery vomit no eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CayuseRanch, Apr 12, 2011.

1. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    This is my first foray into chickens. 3 weeks ago a friend of mine sold me 5 of his young laying hens. One a splash EE I'm not sure has laid any eggs for me but my son swears she laid one. Then on sunday o saw her have a green watery poop, yesterday I saw her vomit up water to which all the other chickens ate, then this am again i saw a watery green poop. Have not changed feed or given any table scraps, has grit. She seems fine temperament wise. Comb light pink. Should I be worried? What do you think it is?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Here's the poop chart:

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

I usually think of mites/lice or worms first, though egg peritonitis/internal layer problem could be it, too. Can you ask you friend whether they have been wormed or dusted for lice/mites lately?

3. CayuseRanch

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    Quote:Sent a text message about the wormed, not sure on that, I sprayed the flock and coop down with a poultry spray that worked for lice, mites and fleas about two days after we got them because I started thinking about our barn cats who are in the area and have fleas and how they used to be in where the coop was before we enclosed it. I can't remember the name of the poultry spray and I am at work so can't look it up, but I cleaned all the bedding back out sprayed, floors, walls, etc, then also sprayed the chickens (which it said was safe to do and the feed store recommended doing)

Edited to add that I looked at the poop chart and she really isn't anywhere on that. It is literally just green colored water, no chunks, no little bits of grass, nothing. Will try and get a picture of it tonight.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That should do it for lice/mites except to repeat in 10-14 days to get new ones that hatch, but you probably already know.

I don't know that it's worms, and it's something to think about to give worm med to an already sick chicken, of course. If your friend has not wormed (some people never worm) could you get your vet to do a fecal? Often they will, I've read, even when they don't treat chickens.

5. CayuseRanch

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    Quote:That's an idea about the fecal, I'm sure I could find a vet do one being in a large city.
    Did find out she was wormed 3 months ago

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by