1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. hillbillycitygirl

hillbillycitygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I noticed a pile of runny poo in the henhouse this morning. what could be the cause? what should the treatment be? we just got some new goats, do you think they could be stressing the chickens? they dont bother them at all, infact they act like the chickens arent even around.

also, I have 10 laying hens that are currently laying....but only getting about 6 eggs a day, is that normal? they are 5 Rhode Island Reds and 5 Plymouth Barred Rocks.

Thanks!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi! There are two kinds of normal chicken poo that I know of.....There's the normal stuff (black and white) and then there's the kind called cecal droppings. That poo is sorty of like pudding and it's brownish red. It's also stinky. So that one pile of runny poo might just be the normal stuff.

As far as 6 eggs from 10 layers, the barred rocks are not as good of layers as the RIR, so they might not lay every single day. Also, yes, your new goat could be stressing the hens a bit, because chickens are very picky and don't like changes.......They might need a good worming too.....

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  4. hillbillycitygirl

hillbillycitygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you so much for the info. This is all still new to me and BYC has been a lifesaver (and money saver because there have been things that I wanted to run to the vet with that you guys have cleared up. Thanks!!! We do have a vet coming to our farm this week because of another problem so I will make sure she knows EVERYTHING that has been going on.

Thanks again!
    Jamie

5. trixiebarracuda

trixiebarracuda Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    CHARLESTON SC
  6. michellex5

michellex5 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    Very helpful!!!

Thank u [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by