Runny poop

FirstLadiesClub

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
This morning I went to check on the girls that noticed 2 of my 4 hens have some runny looking poop stuck on their feathers below their butt. Is this pasty butt?? I thought that only occurred in chicks? We've recently fed them a leftover pumpkin from Halloween which is the only change to their diet so I'm not sure what's going on??? Any input will be greatly appreciated!!

Some chickens tend to have more fluff around the vent, and would benefit from a little trim once a month. Also check for feather loss near the vent and irritation that may be vent gleet. Putting probiotics in the water or giving a little plain yogurt a couple of times a week may also help. Worming may also help. Here is some reading: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html

Hey thanks so much for the info! It ended up being vent gleet for sure we were actually able to just clip the feathers around their vent and only had to soak one girl because she was a little messier than the others. I spent the entire afternoon yesterday doing a full clean up of the coop and the run so I think they're happier than ever! Just one question…is there a specific type of yogurt we should/shouldn't offer the girls, and also should we offer the yogurt with the probiotics or one or the other? Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom