runny white and yellow poop

grandmas Nest

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
Newcastle, Wy
I read several other post on this but, my hen seems to be eating and drinking , not sure if she is laying. Runny poop stuck to her feathers and froze there as we re 0 today and they do not have heat in their coop.
1. She is and EE That Is 10 month old.
2. Runny white and yellow poop stuck to her butt.
3. Yesterday was when it started.
4. No other birds is flock of 10 are doing this.
5. No injury or any thing.
6. Nothing happened before this that I know of.
7. Seems to be eating and drinking fine.
8. Poop is runny white with yellow mixed in and stuck to her feathers.
9. Not sure what treatment to start.
10. Treat myself.
11. No picture.
12 8 x 8 coop up off ground, with outside run being under coop and covered area 7 by 12. Pine shavings on floor of coop about 8 inches deep. Sand in outside run.
What should I do?

Good morning, grandmas Nest. Have you seen this poop chart? http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0 If not take a look and see if your chicken's poop matches any of the normal or abnormal poop pictures. Does the yellow in the poop look like egg yolk? Could it be that an egg broke inside her? I don't have any experience with this, but others on here have and if you search this site I'm sure you will find pictures that others have posted, for you to compare. It really would help folks on here figure out what is happening if you could post some pictures. Keep us posted,, and good luck to you and your hen!
smile.png

No it doesn't look like any of those and what there is is Stuck to her feathers from what I can see. I will be going back out in a little while and will try to take a picture and post it.

Last edited:
68222_p2210005.jpg

This is what her rear end looked like before I washed it. Can not seem to get other picture of after I washed her off to go here. It just wants to keep loading this one over and over. But her vent area is swollen and redish colored, but nothing protruding out. Should I just put her in warm water again? Or try squirting warm soapy water in her vent? It feels like there is a hard shelled egg just under her vent area. Help?

Last edited:
Okay I just put her in warm water over her vent again for 20 minutes and tried getting some ky in her vent as much as possible, I can not see the egg but I can feel it. As soon as I put here back in the cage she tried to push is out so maybe given more time she will get it out. I hope.

Thank you for posting the picture - I'm sure it will help those with more experience than I figure out what is going on so that they can better help you. In the meantime, here is another link that discusses vent gleet and eggs broken inside of a hen. Not sure it would be vent gleet based on what you described, but just a thought. Hopefully soaking her will help her lay the egg you are feeling. I hope someone who has experienced this will come along soon for you.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=433048

So can I put epson salts in her water. I just did a vent check again an got a lot of k-y in her, I can move the egg around some it doesnt feel like there is broken shells there. I will just keep her in the house tonight, may be give her some yougrt or some oatmel? If nothing tomorrow I will try a warm bath again. She did eat some layer pellets today but I don't think she drank enough water. I keep showing her it. But she has not pooped at all, just the runny white stuff.

Last edited:
does anyone else have other ideas? She looks misurable. If I can't get her to lay I'll have to cull her and I really don't want to. She is such a sweetie.

I'm sorry to hear you had to cull her. Sounds like you did everything you could to help her. I'm glad you were strong and were able to end her suffering.

Back
Top Bottom