Runny yellow clear discharge from cloaca

moonnippie

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
My 1.5yr old EE had runny almost mucoid like discharge all over her back end. I brought her in yesterday, gave her a warm bath to get all the frozen poop/discharge off her and kept her in a kennel until she was dry enough to go back out side. She ate a bowl of oatmeal and chopped up egg readily while inside and I ensured she had a normal poop before going back out to the other 3 hens. This am the gloopy yellow snot like discharge is back. She's eat/drinking fine, came out of the coop without hesitation and is acting normal. I'm at a loss. I've dealt with bumblefoot and an egg yolk peritonitis in the past but this is baffling me. Is it gleet? Is it a broken egg? Her abdomen felted bloated but doughy and soft. She's not laid in awhile but it's been fridgid here and no one is laying much.

Thanks!

runny almost mucoid like discharge all over her back end....This am the gloopy yellow snot like discharge is back...Her abdomen felted bloated but doughy and soft. She's not laid in awhile

Do you have any photos of the discharge?

Is it like egg yolk or white? It's hard to know, but maybe she has a soft shell or laying glitch - does the discharge look anything like this minus the shell? https://hencam.com/henblog/2015/08/a-laying-glitch/

I'll bring her back in now and grab a photo before putting her in an Epsom salt soak. It sort of looks like that, but a lot more

Here are a few pictures

Attachments

• IMG_20180114_123558.jpg
    IMG_20180114_123558.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20180114_123536.jpg
    IMG_20180114_123536.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 44
Cleaned up vent. I've applied monistat cream around and just inside the vent for now. Anyone have any tips? I'm in Ontario where do I get antifungal meds?

Attachments

• IMG_20180114_130811.jpg
    IMG_20180114_130811.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 44
@Eggcessive @casportpony

Is it yellow or green?
Photo of her poop?
Personally I don't think that is Vent Gleet which is usually white and pasty - it would be on the vent and surrounding skin, probably the Monistat is o.k. to use topically for Gleet. You can use athlete's foot cream as well.

That thick discharge, I'm inclined to think is egg matter, but just a guess. If you can take a sample to your vet for testing that would be good.

If you have poultry vitamins add those to her water for a couple of days. You may want to give her a teaspoon of plain yogurt or probiotics along with her normal feed. Does she have a source of extra calcium like oyster shell available free choice?

Green and yellow. I'm at Walmart right now to get oral antifungal meds...we do not have poultry vitamins and have never given extra calcium as we were told birds outside that can forage get enough from dirt? I'll grab some.

Green and yellow. I'm at Walmart right now to get oral antifungal meds...we do not have poultry vitamins and have never given extra calcium as we were told birds outside that can forage get enough from dirt? I'll grab some.

The vitamins look like they would be fine, just follow the package directions for chickens.

O.k. Sometimes there is confusion about oyster shell. You being in Canada, they may call it oyster shell grit? Not sure. Anyway, you do want to provide oyster shell free choice for extra calcium. Even if you feed layer feed, hens sometimes need more calcium than they get in their feed. Oyster shell will provide that - it is also soluble so it can be absorbed. Not getting enough calcium can be a cause of laying soft shell eggs and overtime bones can become brittle since a hen will use the calcium in her bones to help make shells.

Now, what you may be thinking that they will find in the soil is "unsoluble" grit. This would be small sharp rocks or stones that birds "store" in the gizzard to help grind up foods. If you have rocky soil, then your birds may find the grit they need. If you purchase "poultry grit" it's usually made of crushed granite.

Personally, I make crushed granite (poultry grit) and oyster shell (crushed oyster shell for calcium) available free choice to my girls.

Anyway .....how is she doing?

She is certainly no worse, I did a second Epsom soak and there was far less mess on her. We added oyster to he feed and vitamins to her water. I also grabbed puppy training pass to keep her kennel nice and clean. She was pecking at her feed as soon as her soak / monistat application.

Back
Top Bottom