1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Runt Broiler Chick

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kristen_k, May 11, 2011.

1. kristen_k

kristen_k Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Mason City, Nebraska
    Hi,

I have 46 broilers that are 4 weeks old, unfortunatly I have lost 4. I have one chick that is not really growing. All the others are getting big and growing feathers. The little one (I mean really little) only has feathers on its wings and tail. I am feeding 22% protein and they all have plenty of room in the brooder house. This is my first year raising chickens and I don't know what to do with the runt. I have a co worker who raises chickens and she said that if I leave him with the others they will start pecking him and kill him. I havent noticed the others harming him yet, I am just scared i'm going to find him dead one of these mornings. I was wandering if you would recommend seperating him from the others, or would that stress him out??

Thank you all!!

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Can you post a picture of the chick with one of the others next to it? How much smaller than the others is it? I wonder if a chick slipped in your order that isn't a broiler.

3. kristen_k

Apr 28, 2011
    Mason City, Nebraska
    I will get a picture up sometime tomorrow evening. He is probably about 1/3 the size of the others.

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Leghorn mixed in with the CX would be my guess w/out a pic.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  5. kristen_k

Apr 28, 2011
    Mason City, Nebraska
    Here are some pictures I got. He isn't very photogenic. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  6. J.S. Webb

J.S. Webb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    N/W Florida
    I have a bird that looks exactley the same with my chickens that I am fearing is all Broilers.

7. kristen_k

Apr 28, 2011
    Mason City, Nebraska
    What did you with the little guy? Mine seems to always get ran over and I am really tempted to set up a little brooder just for him.

8. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    He looks CX to me. When I've seen that the bird always has a heart issue. When you get inside they're all messy. If it goes as I've seen it, in a couple of days (weeks?) he'll stop getting up. Then he'll die.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that you euthanize him. I want you to be prepared for the possibility. Maybe he's just a late bloomer but I'd lay odds that something is wrong inside.

9. kristen_k

Apr 28, 2011
    Mason City, Nebraska
    Not what I really wanted to hear, but thanks to all for your information!!!

10. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Raise him and see how he does. He may end up being a 5 week old dinner for you. Culling is part of the process. It is managing your flock. Culling a bird that isn't performing, and eating it, is good management of your flock. The end result is that you are raising these birds to eat them. Raising them and letting them die, then throwing them in the trash is a waste.

The bird actually looks pretty good other than being small and the head is "down" in both photos. Does he always hold his head low, or does he look alert most of the time? Watch that one closely though.

Your other birds look clean and healthy. Looks like you are doing well by them.

Best of luck.

Last edited: May 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by