Runt Buff Orp won't sit down like her sisters

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mcforys, Feb 24, 2008.

1. mcforys

mcforys Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Hi Everyone,

I am an old member who hasn't been around in a couple of years. Well, I just got a new batch of chicks from Meyer on Thursday morning and one of my Buff Orps is a little off. She is definitely a runt and was a slow starter. I have been keeping her on sugar water and yesterday she started eating (2 days after her sisters). She is now running around and eating and drinking, but the darndest thing is that she doesn't sit down, ever. She is also much smaller than her sisters, but considering how long it took to get her going, that is understandable. If I pick her up and apply a little pressure, she will sort of sit. She walks ok. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance oh wise chicken sages.

Maureen in Oakland

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Good luck.

No idea why she doesn't want to sit. Not even for nap time? Maybe she has to grow in to it. As long as she eats and socializes, all is good!

3. cranberrycreekchickens

cranberrycreekchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Last spring I got a small order of six barred rock layers, and just as you say there was one chick who would not sit!

I don't know if she was any smaller then the others but after a few days to a week she finally figured it out!

Today she is one of my favourites! I named her Chili (don't ask me why!) and everyday she is waiting to greet me, and will clamber up onto my lap if I let her!

So my best advice would to just wait and see.

Roman.

4. mcforys

mcforys Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks folks. It is just such a relief to know where I can come ask other Chicken people about their experiences.

Emma was laying down this morning when I came down, but is now back to standing. That is some progress.

I am glad to hear that Chili started life off this way and is now one of your faves. That made me feel much better.

I'll post an update if there is one.

Thanks everyone,
    Maureen in Oakland

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by