1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Runt Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenVille, Aug 15, 2011.

1. ChickenVille

ChickenVille New Egg

Apr 16, 2011
    Rencently raised 6 BCM Chicks 2 are Roosters and 4 are Pullets. But one is a Runt! She eats, drinks seems ok health wise but does not grow? She got
    out of their enclosure in the Chicken Coop and of course the bigger hens pecked her terribly! I rescued her and now have her inside a cage in the house. She is doing good and now seems ok. I did not expect her to survive. But she still is not growing??? What to do?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Just make sure she has access to food, that the others aren't keeping her from the feeder and then let her be. Sometimes runts catch up, sometimes they stay smaller their whole lives.
    If she's eating, drinking, playing and her stools look good, I say let her be.

3. ChickenVille

ChickenVille New Egg

Apr 16, 2011
    She is eating, drinking a pooping as she should..and i did find many others on this forum that have a runt as well. So I will just keep taking care of her and see if she makes it....thanks

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Good luck with her and welcome to BYC.

My runt was Lil'Bit. She was a LF brahma and half blind. She had more than two years of a happy, free range life before she was killed by a hawk. I miss her still.

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I had a runt that grew to be one of the best you've ever seen as an adult. I had an egg from her every day.

6. dorkings

dorkings Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I too have a runt that is 6 weeks old and she is a cutie. She hurt her leg so she is in a box in the house with us now until she is back to normal. I was so glad to read that they can grow up to healthy chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by