1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

runt corturnix quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by snot, Feb 17, 2013.

1. snot

snot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is my second small hatch of quail only one lived the first time out of five.I got five out of ten this time. Four are doing great one is 1/4 the size for the other.it eats and drinks runs around just like the others.is it a dwarf? any thoughts on this.
    These two hatched 45 minutes apart

2. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Wait, until it grows older. I have a runt, when i got her her size want much different (female). After time and a lot of feeding i almost can't tell the difference. (I can cause i know them so well), she was the friendliest and most energetic.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sometimes runts grow up to live perfectly normal lives, sometimes not. Many times being a runt, it signifies illness or things going wrong internally. Only time will tell.

4. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Or you got a mix of Jumbo and standard size pharoah colored quails eggs

5. snot

snot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    I own the adults the eggs came from this time so that's not it. Good thinking tho that's what I'd be thinking if they weren't home bred, laid, hatched.the runt is the same size as 5 day old chicks and he's 14 days old.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  6. laseterlass

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I tried ;)

7. snot

snot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    Thank you. Is it possible for normal adults to produce jumbo offspring? I have two roos and ten hens so maybe one of my adults Carries jumbo genes?

8. laseterlass

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I have a huge golden Italian growing out. My birds are all Jumbos though not huge jumbos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by