Runt coturnix

JulieNKC

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Kansas City
I have 5 little coturnix that hatched 8 days ago. One of the little guys is teeny. He's not even half the size of the others. He acts fine, eats, drinks, has plenty of energy. He's feathering out the same rate. Will he eventually catch up? He might have been slightly smaller than the others when he hatched, but not enough to where I noticed it until a few days ago.
68502_p1060580.jpg

68502_p1060581.jpg

Don't know if it'll catch up or not...but if its doing fine it would be neat to see how it progresses...you'll have to keep us updated. I've had some hatch from eggs that were smaller than others...pullet bullets...that start smaller but after about 8-10 weeks you couldn't tell the difference.

good luck!

He may catch up he may not. Some birds have a slow start and then catch up others...well....they have more problems internally than we see. I would just raise the little peanut like the others in hope he will catch up, probably won't be the biggest bird but may lay you some nice eggs if a female.

Cute chicks by the way!

We had a runt Coturnix that did catch up with the others. Hubby was calling it pee wee... We didn't get a band on it in time and now can't pick it out of the 8.

Just keep an eye on the little guy and make sure it's getting enough to eat.

I have a very tiny Button Quail and it's a tough little guy. But just to be safe, I keep a extra food dish.

Keep us posted on how it's doing.

Thanks guys, I'll keep everyone posted. The little guys my favorite, just because I can tell which he is lol. All the others are tibetan too I think except one that has a white belly. I can't believe how much fun these little guys are. Since I only got 5 I'm half tempted to keep them inside permanently and use the quail crib outside for future generations. They are so entertaining to watch, I don't want them out in the cold where I can't see them, lol.

Back
Top Bottom