Runt Duck, What to do?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MakNat, Jun 16, 2011.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I have Muscoveys and out of every hatch as week or 2 olds I grab the biggest and smallest in hopes to grow out a pair. then sell the ducklings. I know this is/was illegal, but whos to say the ppl who buy them aren't going to use them for food. Plus its only for a few bucks to help with fees as this is a hobby more than anything. I don't want to start a debate or be judged. I just have concerns about this one particular duck. Its hatchly buddy who I assumed would be a drake, is, almost fully grown and the poor little one, who I assumed is a hen, is only as big as a 6 or 8 week old. Not even fully feathered out.... Hatched in early April. She eats swims and runs around like she is as big as her buddy..... Seems very healthy, just a runt. The drake she was raised with is her only friend too. Very sad. I feel sorry for her/it..... Just wanted some feed back I guess, just blabbing.....

2. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Its illegal to sell Muscovy ducks?

3. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    If it was illegal to sell Muscovies, how would people get them in the first place? [​IMG]

If the duck is happy and healthy, what's the problem? I had a runt duckling that was probably just over half the size of the drake she lived with, and 2/3 the size of the other female. They all got along just fine. [​IMG]

4. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I'm really, really confused. Maybe I read your post wrong. Please explain it to me? lol

5. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Maybe it has some sort of dwarfing gene that can be used for bantam muscovies? lol

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have a runt/dwarf call duck. Micro has been hanging in there for 1 1/2 years now. He had a very rough start, still has breathing issues. He is 1/2 the size of a female call, very small. I have enjoyed nurturing him along and he is quite the trooper.
    [​IMG]

Same age hatch mates. Can you guess which one is Micro?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by