1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Runt, gold laced polish, when should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shadowsfate, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Shadowsfate

Shadowsfate Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2013
    I have a 5 week old gold laced polish. It's always been a runt. Slower growing than the other four chicks and slower feathering... honestly a little slower in the brain as well but not to a disabilitating extent. As its tail is growing in it looks like unbarbed feathers like silkie feathers? So whats up, is it just a runt? Is there anything else I should be watching for? Its a very sweet chick and I want to make sure it does ok!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hard to see, but the fluffy tail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    size comparisson with other hatch mates

[​IMG]
    close up on the other hatchmates feathering. As you can see they have neck feather and are mostly filled in while my GL polish still has a lot of fluffy places.

Please let me know what you all think!

2. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    I don't think you should be worried. A chick that is littler than the rest is natural, and you can't avoid it. Trust me, there is nothing wrong with that chick. The littlest is always the alertest! I had a tiny rooster who got pecked on all the time but is now the biggest in the coop.
    (but by the way, it kinda looks like it's going to be a boy...)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  3. Shadowsfate

Shadowsfate Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2013

Well it seems ok for now. Why do you say its looking like a boy? Its supposed to be a sexed pullet :/

4. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    that doesn't always mean they are sexed correctly, but most of the time they are. Polish is my favorite breed of chicken and I have 2 polish roos as well as my darling polish hen-Hattie. I am almost 99% sure that the boys always have sprouts/mohawks like that, because both of mine do. Meanwhile, I am also pretty sure the girls have afros.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by