runt of the flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Muffinburgler, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Muffinburgler

Muffinburgler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Watsonville, CA
    My new chicks just arrived in the mail, and almost everyone is alert and perky and chasing each other all over the brooder, except for one little sex link girl. She's very very tiny compared to the other black sex links, and she won't eat or drink. All she's done in the 6 hours I've had them home is sleep under the heat lamp.

Should I let her just sleep? Or should I wake her up and force some food and water into her? She'll sit up now and then and peep whenever one of the others bump into her, but other than that she's very listless.

Is there anything I can give her to maybe give her a boost?

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    You could try this...
    Scramble an egg, mash it up real good, add some pedia-lyte (or some sugar water), mix/mash it together. You may need to hold her and use a dropper to feed her, if you dont have a dropper, try a small spoon. She may not seem interested at first, but try to get her to eat a few dropper fulls.
    good luck!![​IMG]

3. fluffychicken24

fluffychicken24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    She will probably always be a bit small, but extra protein is good, and making sure she drinks is vital.

4. Muffinburgler

Feb 8, 2012
    Watsonville, CA
    She's better today! She's walking around and talking her head off. She's a bit . . . weird, though. She walks backwards more often than forward and tries to eat by bashing her head into the food. Oh well, every flock has to have that one weird one.

5. fluffychicken24

fluffychicken24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    Yay! I'm so happy she's better!

6. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    You may want to add some nutri drench to their water incase it is a vitamin deficiency. Sometimes weird behavior can be caused by that.
    If it is a vitamin deficiency, you would see a difference within 2 to 3 days, after giving the nutri drench.

7. Muffinburgler

Feb 8, 2012
    Watsonville, CA
    I'm starting to suspect she's blind, or at least partially blind. She runs around screaming like she can't find anyone, and she only drinks when she accidentally stumbles into the water bowl. How do I test if a chick can see?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by