Runt of the group being "pecked" on...

sillyovrsilkies

Songster
9 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Bluegrass State
I've got my first bunch of baby chicks (9 to be exact after losing 1-they're a wk. old) and I found the runt of the bunch (my favorite of course) had been pecked bald on her neck sometime this evening. I don't think she was hurt persay and I didn't see any blood, but she definitely had been attacked. I moved the entire bunch to a new larger brooder box in hopes this would help. Will she continue to be picked on since she's the smallest?? What do I do to help protect her? None of others showed any signs of being bothered.

SillyovrSilkies
2 Shelties, 2 Bunnies, & 9 chickies

I would separate her if possible until you can get to your feed store to get some anti-pick lotion. Paint the pecked area with it and closely observe her for awhile. I had this problem with some chicks, and my Rooster Booster pick no more lotion worked INSTANTLY. They pecked ONE time and then no more, wiping their beaks on the floor.
jumpy.gif

They will develop a pecking order but if they single a chick out it can end very badly. Try that anti pick remedy and as long as they haven't drawn blood it should help, especially since you have moved them into a larger space. You may also want to put a few objects in the brooder that the little one can run behind and "out of sight, out of mind".
hide.gif
If they draw blood, you really need to remove it from the rest of the birds until it has completely healed. Once they get that bloody spot they will pick it relentlessly so better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck to you and the runt!

Thank you...I had no idea there was an "anti peck" solution! Who woulda thought?? I'll try to swing by the feed store today. She made it through the night okay...

Back
Top Bottom