1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

runt of the litter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goddesses, Jul 8, 2008.

1. goddesses

goddesses Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2008
    At age 1 week one of my wyandotts toppled over and didnt walk for 3 days. At day 2 I had to separate her from the rest of the herd as they had begun to peck at her.

She has regained her ability to walk and is doing very well, but is growing at an almost immeasurable rate - 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the rest. Yes, she is getting vitamins along with her feed. I've tried to introduce one of the other chicks into her space, but she is quickly trampled by the bigger chick.

DOes she become our favorite pet, or is there a chance she could go back to the flock if even at a smaller size? And how to do that.

Mother Goddess:th

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    We had a pullet that was severely picked on, so she's now our pet chicken. She lives in our garage and free ranges during the day. We've tried twice to reintroduce her to the others, but they immediately begin to attack her.

There is a chance your chicken can be reintroduced to the others. We had a rooster get picked on and we separated him for 4 days, and we had no problems putting him back in with the others. The only way that I know of to reintroduce a bird is to just put her with the others and see what happens. Maybe someone else has another method.

Good luck!

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Keep them separated but together (i.e. keep the runt where the others can see her but not get at her). This will help the re-introduction later on.

I haven't had the occasion but have heard that you can reintroduce a bird at night, after all birds have roosted. They'll wake up together & have an easier time re-integrating.

4. goddesses

goddesses Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2008
    tHANKS MUCH!

This is reassuring. My instincts told me to keep her within hearing and sight of the others. She seems far mor upset being separated - spends all her time trying to poke her head through the wire between them.

Yesterday they had their first trip out doors and I put her in with the rest - nobody seems to notice her difference in size; she pretty much went unnoticed. Of course, when we had to gather them to put them back inside, there was chaos and she was trampled and bruised that leg.

All is well at the moment. We will try again this weekend. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by