Runt or Roo??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Skitt-Chicks, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Skitt-Chicks

Skitt-Chicks Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2014
    Lynnwood, WA
    We purchased 5 new babies to add to our flock 2 weeks ago, an Ameraucana, a Black Sexlink, a Cream Brabanter and 2 Pencil Laced Plymouth Rock Bantams. All are growing at different rates, which is expected with the variety of birds. ;-) However, my 1 of my Pencil Laced Plymouth Rock Bantams is definitely growing much slower than the other. My 3 standard sized chicks were purchased as Pullets, and my Bantams were straight run. The larger Bantam is growing feathers in quite nicely, as the other has remained in it's downy feathers with the hint of feathers beginning to grow on the wings. S/He is eating and drinking regularly, and poos normally too. I have them on 1/2 medicated and 1/2 organic chick feed. (Started them on the medicated for the 1st week.) The little one has been nicknamed "Rex" and the wings are tiny, due to the lack of feathering, and it reminds us of a T-Rex. I understand that Barred Rock Cockerels feather slower than the Pullets...is this true to Plymouth Rock Bantams as well? Hoping we don't have a lil roo, but feel we most likely do. May be purchasing a rooster collar in the near future to keep the neighborly peace. [​IMG]

2. Skitt-Chicks

Skitt-Chicks Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2014
    Lynnwood, WA
    I want to add we feel like it hasn't grown either, I'm sure it has, but is noticeably smaller than the other Bantam chick...

3. Darceyhs

Darceyhs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Instead of rooster collar maybe put them it in a box of a night and put in garage or other place, the rooster may still be able to crow but it will be muffed and not as cruel to the rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by