Runt or sick?

AuntieAlex

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
Central New Hampshire
Hi all!

I recently purchased a Welsummer chick from a lady in my local Facebook group, she said it was about a week-week and a half old. This baby was significantly smaller than the other little chick she had to choose from though and is even smaller than the 3-4 day old chicks I brought her home to though! I’ve heard that welsummers grow faster than some other breeds so I’m not sure if she’s just an anomaly and is naturally smaller than others or if I should be concerned about illness. She doesn’t seem quite as feathered/fluffed out on her body as the others or chicks I’ve had in the past but is otherwise very lively so I’m kind of at a loss here lol. Help!

Attachments

• 26307972-2AE7-4531-B20E-B0A9E1764584.jpeg
    26307972-2AE7-4531-B20E-B0A9E1764584.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 7
Any difference in breathing? Poo consistency? I have had smaller babies. Sometimes they arent as healthy. She may not have been giving her bird as good a feed as you do. Feed quality in chickens is super important. treat with corid to make sure there is no worms. They could stunt growth. Treat them all if you have her in with your other chicks.

Any difference in breathing? Poo consistency? I have had smaller babies. Sometimes they arent as healthy. She may not have been giving her bird as good a feed as you do. Feed quality in chickens is super important. treat with corid to make sure there is no worms. They could stunt growth. Treat them all if you have her in with your other chicks.

No differences in breathing or poo that I’ve noticed. In fact when I brought her home she pooped in the box I carried her in and it looked normal. I think there were a lot of chicks in the brooder with her before (maybe, it was hard to see) and she possibly just wasn’t getting enough food? Or the quality of it like you said. But her hatchmate looked fine next to her so I don’t know

I’ll definitely look into the corrid though, thanks

Good luck!!! After losing a couple of chicks to coccidiosis. I treat all my chicks when I bring them home. Pretty babies. I'm addicted to the darn things lol
I know hahaha me too! I’m a pretty all or nothing kind of person too, so when I finally jumped into the chicken game I went straight for the deep end 😂 I’m gonna end up with somewhere around 18 chickens by winter lol.

I had a dozen and now I have 40 chickens and 2 turkeys lol. We want more turkeys. We have a male and female so we are going to let them breed. My kids and husband are crazy excited about that! (Ok so am). I wont breed my chickens. To big a risk for roos and I had a bad experience with a broody hen killing all her babies as they hatched. I have a few bantams that I may also breed. Will see how the bantam roosters temperments are when they hit maturity.

Back
Top Bottom