Runt red....feeding question

wcfinklized

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2017
Theresa, New York
Shes about 12 weeks.... A third the size of all the others.... My question.... As she wont free range because of her leg issues (splinting to hopefully fix) should i just keep her on chick starter until she hopefully goes out with the others and learns to forage???

Don't you feed the rest a ration? Or do you not? You can keep a chicken on a starter ration indefinitely, just add a separate bowl of oyster shells when they begin laying.

Well chick starter and a container of grit.
Is what I would do. As she needs he extra protein amount.
What fed is the rest of the chckens herage on?
Here is a good artcle to nswer some of your questions.
http://www.almanac.com/blog/raising-chickens/raising-chickens-101-bring-baby-chicks
Raising Chicks
Tending baby chicks isn’t difficult, nor need it be elaborate. As well as chick starter and clean water, they need a draft-free brooder pen with a red brooder lamp on at all times. This keeps the temperature at 92°F at 2 inches above the floor. (It also reduces picking and cannibalism among chicks.) When the chicks have feathered out, reduce the temperature by 5 degrees per week until they are 6 weeks old, then switch their feed from chick starter to grower mash.

hatching-raising-chicken-chicks_full_width.jpg

Rest are on grower and will be switched to layer as soon as start laying. My concern is her diet considering she wont go forage with the others.... She will eat her feed thats it. And being she is stunted and leg issues my concern is she isnt getting the grit she needs let alone nutrition

And also they are about 14 weeks.... Not baby babys anymore.... Pritnear laying age.... I just looked at calendar....sorry not 12....they are 14 on sunday

Back
Top Bottom