Runt Update - One is a Barred Rock [Pictures]

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by xC0000005, Nov 23, 2009.

1. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    Two weeks later my "runt" chicks are doing just fine (and would no longer be considered runts...unless you had their brood mates to compare them to). The larger of the two is a black Cochin. When we got her she was twice as large as the barred rock both in height and weight. Both had cocci (blood in the stool) and the barred rock, well, that picture above was his good side. The other side had fewer feathers. He has feathered up very quickly on the medicated feed. (I call it a he - I named it Parmesian, since all potential meals are named after food). Now they are just about identical. One of them is a barred rock and we're having quite a few debates about whether it is a pullet or a dinner - I mean, cockerel.

Here's a picture of it when we first got it
    [​IMG]

And here it is now, at (we think) nearly four weeks age
    [​IMG]

In the kitchen light it looks white with black stripes.
    In the daylight (or brooder) it looks black with white stripes.

It's cute regardless, and the chicks are inseperable.
    If you remove one to pet it the other makes a noise like a crossing signal the entire time.

Amazing what a little (lot) of food, medicine, water and heat lamps can do. My wife makes sure everyone knows "It wasn't my idea." But she agrees they are cute as well.

2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Very pretty!

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I think it's promising as a pullet (not seeing red or any wattles) but at this stage of the game it's ALL about waiting. In either case, she looks a bit worried about being held over the stove! [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by