Runt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Badhbh, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Is there such thing as a runt in chickens? [​IMG] If so, I think I have one. One of the silkies (the only buff) that came from Meyer yesterday is just kind of lumpy.. she sits like a lump and doesn't move. She's tiiiiny too. Really tiny. I've tried to interest her in some quick start stuff, but no dice so far. Is there anything else to be done? She's getting trod upon by some of the larger chicks.

2. Mrs Chickenlady

Mrs Chickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Have you tried a little sugar water? That peps them up sometimes. Good luck.

3. ebaribault

ebaribault Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Antrim, NH
    Hi Badhdh,
    I had the same issue with a chic from meyer on Tuesday.
    One of my friends told me to put some honey on her beak and dip it in the starter crumbles.
    All is fine now but she is definetly smaller than the others.
    Best of luck,
    Ed

4. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Well, she didn't make it. She was gone when I got home from work. Another one followed soon after.. I think that one got drowned in the water bowl [​IMG] I thought i'd taken precautions, but this round of chicks is SO much smaller than the last ones. They're teeny tiny.. like, really small. I seriously don't remember the last ones being that frail.

5. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I'm sorry you lost your chicks.

6. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    i expected it, honestly.. they all seem perky and happy, but they're so small i'm afraid i may lose a couple more before it's over with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by