Runt???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hollywoodwigs, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Hollywoodwigs

Hollywoodwigs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2010
    My 3-week old Wyandottes have a runt among them! Seriously, 1 of them is still the same size as a 1-week old chick (1/2 the size of the other ones). She doesn't seem to be maturing at all, kinda like a pituitary gland problem or something. Do I just wait until she catches up with the rest of the flock? She is eating and drinking normally, just not developing other than a few small feathers coming out on the wings.

2. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    My Speckled Sussex, Abby, is also a runt - but don't tell her. She's always been way behind the others developmentally, including her voice. She's now about 13 weeks old and is finally starting to sound and act like her"sisters." Size wise, she is now about the size of a 6-8 week old chick. Abby has never been one to get pushed out of getting to the food bowl either. She uses her size to her advantage and gets in under the others and holds her ground, just like a small dog will do. [​IMG]

Someone on this forum posted a picture of their runt as a chick and as a full grown bird. It was almost impossible to tell it from the siblings now! I'm hoping that Abby and your chick both catch up to the others by the time they are adults!

3. Hollywoodwigs

Hollywoodwigs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2010
    Thank you, I hope she will catch up, too! Our concern is transferring them to the outside coop...she won't have her feathers yet like her siblings, so we will have to heat the coop outside I guess.

Apparently, some chicks just mature slowly when compared to their "nestmates"...but it's scary when this is your first time raising chickens!

4. iluv...

iluv... Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2010
    California
    Here's a couple of pics of my 10 week old runt named Pipsqueak. Pip for short.
    This is her (hopefully) and the second smallest of my group.
    [​IMG]

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I had a Blue Partridge Brahma runt who was about 50% the size of his hatch mates, but at 15 weeks he is every bit as big.

The 3 week old runt may well catch up, but Pip looks like she will always be tiny and GORGEOUS.

6. redfeather

redfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    I am having the SAME problem with my buff orpington chicks! One is still half the size of the others!

7. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    Quote:I kept a heat lamp suspended from under the loft coop until they were about 9 weeks old. I had some branches under there so she could get closer to the lamp if she wanted - and I frequently found her there. I also kept the heat lamp in the coop itself for that length of time. It doesn't hurt to baby the runts. [​IMG]

8. jbolt

jbolt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Wittmann az
    I give my runt extra mealworms, he's 5 days old, and was hatched with help. He has an underdeveloped 4th toe. It caused him walking issues for about a day, and was small even next to his just hatched siblings. I gave him ground up boiled egg yolk, mixed with save a chik in a dropper for 24 hours. Then started him on cut up meal worms. He's still small, and slightly gimpy, but holds his own with the group and eating pooping and drinking. Oh and I grew the mealies in medicated chick starter. Works awesome. Let me say though these are my first that I've hatched out myself so I'm a noob. I could be totally wrong.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by