Runt.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by andrew3waz, Aug 23, 2013.

1. andrew3waz

andrew3waz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    Hey,
    My chicks came this morning and there was a really small one. I am wondering what to do? she or he is really small and weak and cant keep her head up and the other chicks keep walking over her.

Thanks,
    andrew3waz

2. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Is she eating/drinking?

3. andrew3waz

Jul 21, 2013
    Not really I have been trying to dip her beak in the water and food. She is laying down most of the time but when another chick walks on her she just pops up and hobble around and then lays back down.

Any info would be great!

4. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    You might want to use a dropper to get some water into her. Do you have any vitamin/electrolyte powder mixed in the water. She might need a little pick me up! Does her bottom look ok or is the poop all sticking to her?

5. andrew3waz

Jul 21, 2013
    I don't have the powder and she has a crusty pointy thing sticking out of his butt. What could I use instead of that powder mix?

Thanks,
    andrew3waz

6. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Sound like she might have pasty butt. You are going to want to clean off her butt. Warm water. You can just give her straight up water. Some people recommend a little sugar water to perk them up but it can make pasty butt worse. So if you do sugar water only do the sugar water once and then straight water. Some people also recommend Apple Cider Vinegar (but it has to be an organic brand like Braggs - not the stuff you use for cooking) added to the water. If you do a search for Pasty Butt you'll get tons of recommendations. And likewise with Apple Cider Vinegar or ACV you'll get info on how much to use..

Big thing first will be to get some water into her! Good luck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by