Runts, Dwarfs, or just slow growers???? Need advise

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hapigrl, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Hapigrl

Hapigrl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    St Augustine, Florida
    We ordered chicks from Ideal this year and they are now about 14 days old. We got Buff Orpingtons and Rocks, Brahmas, and Reds. We have 2 little girls that are not growing at the same rate as the others. One is a Brahma that is very tiny and has a hard time walking and cant seem to get herself up if she is on her side. The other I think is an Orpington is also very very tiny whose wings are not developing very fast and does not move as fast as the others. They both eat and drink and poop normal, but as I said they are both very very tiny! We have moved them in to a place away from the other girls for safety reasons, basically to give them a fighting chance......what else can we do? Neither acts sick. Can they catch up? Will they? anyone else had this happen before with good results? Any thoughts would be great!!! Thanks guys :)

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Sometimes they will catch up, but what is happening with them is what is called "failure to thrive." You can try babying them with extra good treats (egg yolk, meal worms, and such.) and sometimes, little runts make it and grow up just fine. Sometimes they are a lost cause, but you shouldn't give up on them. I have been surprised by runts before.

1 person likes this.
  3. Hapigrl

Apr 12, 2012
    St Augustine, Florida
    Thank you for your help. I have heard that term before and I hate it!! :( WE are doing everything we can to help them. Also planning for the future in hopes that they make it, making a little hen house just for them in case they really dont catch up but do pull thru. With RIR's already advancing above the other hens and being so active, I know they would just get picked on if they do make it and grow to adulthood. I just hate this part of having babies. It breaks my heart. Thanks again hun. Fingers crossed that we can get these girls strong <3

4. MaddBaggins

MaddBaggins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    We had 2 little girls like that. We lost one and the other is doing just fine. We spent extra time with both, hand feeding, extra calories, extra love.

5. Hapigrl

Apr 12, 2012
    St Augustine, Florida
    So good to hear :) but how do you hand feed if they don't want it or won't take it? I would love to help them get the extra vitamins

6. MaddBaggins

MaddBaggins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    I mixed starter feed with some sugar and water and used a syringe to keep dribbling it on the side of her mouth. She didn't want to take it either, but her instinct was to swallow. we did this 3-4 times a day.

7. preacherman2

preacherman2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    broward county fl
    i had a runt my feed it her protien oatmeal she makes and now she is the biggest and my wife calls her maniac she lives up to it

8. Hapigrl

Apr 12, 2012
    St Augustine, Florida
    Well, GOOD NEWS!!! I know that we are not out of the woods, but I have been taking all of the advise you guys gave and hand feeding with a baby Super Food!! Starter feed, vitamin powder, sugar, yogurt, water. All hand fed. I just take a spoon and rub it along the bottom of the top beak and they gobble it!!! The Brahma has improved the most-no more wobbly walking, feathering in better and bigger in size. The Orpington is still very tiny but just tonight I am seeing teeny tiny feathers beginning above the wings, which are still barely feathered. She is much more alert and is responding to my voice and sitting in my hand for a long time for love!!!!! I will keep them together even if one is improving faster than the other becouse they have become close and I think that the friendship they have is worth a million dollars! They need each other to continue to improve. Thank you all SO SO SO much! My heart is ready to burst I am so happy they are doing so well!! BIG HUGE HUGS!!! Honestly!! I love my girls

9. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    I hand fed my little partridge cochin runt eggs everyday. She caught up at about 6 months. Now you cant tell her from her sisters!

10. Bellatrixed

Bellatrixed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    That's awesome to hear! I hope they keep doing great!

My babies are only 6 days old but I have noticed two of them are not growing at the same rate as the others. They seem perfectly fine otherwise... maybe I need to do a little babying myself!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by