runty baby chick looking pretty bad...

bonder

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 2, 2010
I have a 1 week old chick who has been the runt since the beginning. She prefers to be under the heat lamp even on these HOT days. She hangs out with the other chicks (8 total, all the same age) but if they run to the other side of the brooder, she gets tired and lays down about half way. I've been giving them quik-chik (sp?) electrolytes in the water and medicated chick feed. The others are getting feathers and starting to act silly. This one lays around and her feathers are really skinny and stick out funny. Here's what I'm going to try; someone correct me if I'm doing something wrong!
Quarantine her to make sure she's getting to food and water
poly-vi-sol drops
hard boiled egg yolks ground up
meal worms or yogurt

I haven't lost any chicks out of this group of 35 initially so I don't think it's contagious. Failure to thrive?

Sorry no pics...I left the camera somewhere....
roll.png

Wow, the next time I'm feeling ill I'm coming over to YOUR house so you can take such good care of me!

Really, it seems you are doing everything you should for this chick. If it doesn't improve it will be its own fault! Some chicks just don't have What It Takes to continue. I think of it as the hen's way of paying taxes to Mother Nature, hatching out a few chicks for other creatures to feed upon. Keep it up though, I've had some chicks I was measuring for their little coffins revive & thrive. I pray for similar success with your little chickie.

If meal worms are what you want when you're not feeling well, come on over! Really though, are they safe for week old chicks? And thanks for the encouragement! Out of 100 chicks from the hatchery, I've only lost 2 so far. I'd like to keep it that way. Time will tell...

There was another recent thread discussing failure to thrive, and there seemed to be no real conclusion about what causes it. The treatment you have in mind sounds excellent, though, and is exactly what I would do. Good luck to you and the little one!

I'd hold off on the mealworms at a week of age--especially if she has not eaten grit. Easy, easy on the yogurt too. Scrambled or chopped hard cooked eggs and the (no iron) Poly vi sol are wonderful ideas as well as separating her to be sure she is eating. If you can--let her be able to see her little flock by separating with something see through or wire. My best hopes for the little one to make it.
toyou.gif
Get well little girl!!

Back
Top Bottom