Runty BCM with bald patches

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dedicateddourly, Jul 8, 2011.

1. dedicateddourly

dedicateddourly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Fallbrook, CA
    So I'm not sure if there's a need to worry or not. My chicks are going on 5 weeks and I noticed that one BCM is considerably smaller than everyone else AND it has a bald patch on the middle of his back and the top of its wings. Also on the bald patches are a couple scabs. I'm assuming he's just getting picked on, but I didn't observe any of it for the hour I spent watching them today.

I checked it and the others for parasites and didn't see any. It's acting completely normal, eating, drinking, pooping.

[​IMG]

That's him/her on the right next to the biggest chick. What do you all think? Are there any weird skin/feather conditions that might apply here?

Thanks!

2. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Not a Maran breeder here, but in some breeds, LF Wyandottes for example, the males feather in a lot slower than females. My LF look naked for a LONG time, after the pullets feather in. Not sure about Maran's, don't have that breed.

3. dedicateddourly

Jun 20, 2008
    Fallbrook, CA
    Thanks for the response, BB. I think I'll head over to the Marans thread and see if I can glean some info from the experts there.

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    He's a boy Renee. [​IMG]

Most of the time, in my experience at least, the males will feather in sparsely and even look a bit mangey for awhile. The poor things. [​IMG]

I had 2 Olive Egger cockerels fathered by a Black Copper Marans that looked just like that a few weeks ago.

5. dedicateddourly

Jun 20, 2008
    Fallbrook, CA
    Hi Jeremy!

Are Marans boys usually small too? The weird thing is that the other 2 are acting more roo-ish, with their facing off, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by