Runty Buckeye?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by speckledegg728, Oct 14, 2016.

1. speckledegg728

speckledegg728 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2016
    Rural Ohio.
    Hello,

New user and chicken raiser here. I have six chickens, all different breeds (Buff Brahma, Speckled Sussex, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Salmon Faverolle, Golden Comet, and this Buckeye), and they've just turned five weeks old. Our Buckeye has always been pretty small and slow to get her (his?? I don't know. That's another issue for another day) feathers, and I was just wondering if this is normal for the breed in comparison to some of the more heavyweight chickens.

I've looked elsewhere on the internet for information on Buckeyes and haven't had much success. I worry about her. Like I said, all the other chicks at this point are filling out very nicely, getting plump and sleek, and she's still quite petite and awkwardly feathered. If anyone has any information, it would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    If she is eating and drinking and pooping ok then she may just be a slow developer. Some breeds develop slower than others and for 5 weeks she doesn't seem far off feather wise from where she needs to be.

At this point I'm saying pullet

3. speckledegg728

speckledegg728 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2016
    Rural Ohio.
    Yes, she is eating, drinking and pooping alongside all the others. Although she's the smallest, everyone also appears to treat her just fine. She's now six weeks and is still slowly chugging along in terms of development, but I hope she's just moving at her own pace as you said. Thanks for the words of wisdom!

I sorely hope that she's a pullet. I've got a soft spot for her at this point. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by