Runty duckling with deformed beak

ChickandDuckMomma

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2021
This is our khaki Campbell, named Hope. She is about 11 weeks old and a lot smaller than her sisters. She was born with a deformed beak and smaller than average size. I am trying everything to keep her growing and she weighs about 10 oz. She is now gaining about an ounce a week and is really active. She is eating (Purona flockraiser mushed in water) and drinking and seems to be feathering out. Gets baths everyday and does preen. She gets lots of treats (mealworms and peas) throughout the day and lives in this cage upstairs with her "stuffy" duck. We bought her specifically from TSC to try and give her a good life. She is still to small to live outside with the big guys. I just hope she grows some more, so she can be out with her friends. Any advice? Has anyone ever seen this before in ducks? Will she make it? Anything anyone has to offer will be amazing!

Attachments

• 16337143662243993871260298210251.jpg
    16337143662243993871260298210251.jpg
    650.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 16337144057857401148347490978061.jpg
    16337144057857401148347490978061.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 7
I’m not good with ducks, but my hens beak was cracked and we syringed it into her beak, it’s suitable for all omnivores.
35DF0F40-02F5-4649-8FB6-95B681162796.jpeg
62C82D29-A4F7-4D19-A74E-2AE40259CCBB.jpeg

This is our khaki Campbell, named Hope. She is about 11 weeks old and a lot smaller than her sisters. She was born with a deformed beak and smaller than average size. I am trying everything to keep her growing and she weighs about 10 oz. She is now gaining about an ounce a week and is really active. She is eating (Purona flockraiser mushed in water) and drinking and seems to be feathering out. Gets baths everyday and does preen. She gets lots of treats (mealworms and peas) throughout the day and lives in this cage upstairs with her "stuffy" duck. We bought her specifically from TSC to try and give her a good life. She is still to small to live outside with the big guys. I just hope she grows some more, so she can be out with her friends. Any advice? Has anyone ever seen this before in ducks? Will she make it? Anything anyone has to offer will be amazing!
You are so kind hearted. I’m sure if she is eating and drinking she will survive. I doubt she knows she is any different than the other ducks. Has she been introduced to the rest of the flock? I wonder if they will pick on her? Hopefully not but you seem to instinctively know what to do. All the best keep us posted on her progress!!!

She is fairly small and obviously not growing normally. I agree that she most likely has some hidden issues. Have you tried keeping one of her sisters with her? It might be helpful, but then again might not. It might encourage her enough to help her to continue to grow. If she continues to survive, she will always need a mash. If she's separated from other ducks, they might bully or worse when added to the flock since she would be different. Different can be deemed a weakness. Birds tend to get rid of the weak link due to instincts and weaker birds attract prey in their world.

You are so kind hearted. I’m sure if she is eating and drinking she will survive. I doubt she knows she is any different than the other ducks. Has she been introduced to the rest of the flock? I wonder if they will pick on her? Hopefully not but you seem to instinctively know what to do. All the best keep us posted on her progress!!!
In 2 weeks she has more than doubled her weight! So exciting! She gets supervised visits with the others when it's nice out. They do tend to pick on her because she is a newcomer, but I am on top of it so they can't hurt her. We are hoping she will be big enough to go out permanently before winter. We have a lot to do to the coop before then as well, just to make sure that she has somewhere to go that is really warm to avoid frostbite on her tounge. It is gonna be a ride, LOL!

Is that the tongue sticking out?
Is it deformed?

Often a bird with visible deformities also may have internal deformities and not be able to process food adequately.
Are it's poops normal?
Oh, lord- her poops are normal! Lol! I am hoping that she will not have internal deformities. She has gained twice her body weight and growth in just 2 weeks! This is amazing. Just gotta keep trying. If she is willing to fight than I will keep fighting for her, too.

She is fairly small and obviously not growing normally. I agree that she most likely has some hidden issues. Have you tried keeping one of her sisters with her? It might be helpful, but then again might not. It might encourage her enough to help her to continue to grow. If she continues to survive, she will always need a mash. If she's separated from other ducks, they might bully or worse when added to the flock since she would be different. Different can be deemed a weakness. Birds tend to get rid of the weak link due to instincts and weaker birds attract prey in their world.
I hear ya. As long as she keeps eating, drinking and growing we will continue to fight for her. We will just have to see what happens. She has doubled her weight and size in just 2 weeks! This makes us hopeful. We will always continue to do what we can to help her.

Back
Top Bottom