1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

runty, frozen (?) pullet going downhill. HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickensducks&agoose, Dec 23, 2010.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Moky has always been the smallest, thinnest, lightest of our 4 teenagers. She is a Barred Rock, and is just really small. She still sleeps on the back of her 'momma'. She was born in June. Anyway, this morning, after a 12 degree night in an unheated coop, she was laying on the floor, not moving. I picked her up, and she's alive, and can sit on her feet, but refuses to move, or open her eyes, or eat or drink. I've got her set up with a warming light on her, and a bottle of hot water under the shavings beneath her, but she still won't move, and her wings are fully extended/drooping. I put some warm sugar water down her beak with a syringe.... she didn't like it, and most drooled out the sides. what else can I do?

i checked on her, rearranged her better under the light, and she wouldn't sit up... she just lays there.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like failure to thrive by all you have said. I hope she'll pull through for you. sounds like your doing all you can. Do you have electrolytes? baby vits w/o iron might be worth a try. Best wishes! and keep us posted

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

she rallied yesterday, late, but this morning, looks worse than ever. i put some newspaper underneath her, so when she goes, i can just scoop up the whole bundle. I hate winter, because I can't bury any of my pets if they die.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm sorry, wish it could have been great news, just remember you have done all you can and I'm sure she knows it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by