Ruptured air sac??? Budgie, NOT a chicken.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redfeather, Apr 21, 2011.

1. redfeather

redfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.

Budgerigar -- NOT A CHICKEN. A small Australian Parrot.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

He's fine, other than a ping-pong ball sized bulge on the lower side of his body. Air sac rupture? It's perfectly round and smooth coming out of his body.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Not sure, as he isn't mine, but probably not more than a few days... I was told that it appeared very fast and has been getting bigger over the past few days.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

None. It acts completely healthy and happy, singing, hopping about, playing with toys.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

It can no longer fly do to the bulge.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Nothing.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

it's regular seed and treats, and yes it has a normal appetite

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

I haven't done anything yet.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

it's my aunts bird and she cannot afford to bring it to be treated at the vet... ... if possible I want to help it as much as I can as possible. I am guessing, but not positive it is an air sack rupture. Should I get a pin and sterlize it and attempt to puncture it to relieve pressure? My aunt is devestated over this bird, and it will cost her $100 just to euthanize it.

I am just sick over this, as I see her struggle with this bird. She is 85 years old, and simply adores both these parakeets. If I can save the little guy for her, I want to.

2. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
  3. redfeather

Oct 28, 2010
    Well, I scrubbed a small spot with iodine and inserted a hollow needle (actually a sterile syringe and needle) into it and pulled it back out and released the bird to see if it drained. It only drained a very small amount, and it wasn't air... It was a serum/blood mixture. So it appears the poor little guy has a cyst of sorts. [​IMG] I re-caught the bird and filled the syringe with fluid from the bulge twice. 6ml total, and I'm sure I could have pulled the same amount once more.

He was instantly feeling a lot better, I could tell... as he was happily flying about after that (and he hadn't flown for weeks).

I was talking to someone on another forum, and she said that if it refills I might need to make an incision to allow it to drain freely.... If I have to do that I will be bringing the bird home with me to care for it. Ahh, poor thing, I hope it gets better. My aunt is really down because he's like this.

4. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Disclaimer: I am not a vet! Never take this advice over a veterinarian's.

It's a shame he can't see a vet, especially to get a blood panel run, but it is what it is, and I understand that the funds are not always there. Avian vets are expensive.
    Sometimes, cysts form because of a vitamin A deficiency. Not always, but it does happen. What is the budgie's diet like? You say regular seeds and treats.. what are the treats? A budgie seed mix alone is not a good long term diet and can cause deficiencies and even problems like fatty liver disease depending on what types of seeds are in the mix. I'm not scolding you or your aunt; most people don't realize that seeds aren't a good sole diet for these guys. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  5. redfeather

Oct 28, 2010
    Yes, I know a seed diet isn't really appropriat.... but it is what it is. I can tell her she should offer the birds leafy greens like kale and the like... I might also try to talk her into getting the birds on pellets.

Yes, I know avian vets are expensive --- I have a sun conure, and I take him when he needs it... but... I'm sorry--- just like one of my chickens, even I wouldn't waste a $100+ vet appointment on an untame budgie. If it comes down to misery for the bird, I'd most likely put it out of it's misery, but that's all.

I'll be keeping an eye on the bird and talking to my aunt again soon. Draining the cyst didn't seem to bother the bird at all... he was just annoyed that we had caught him. As soon as we let him go he runs off and climbs on his cage singing and preening himself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by