Ruptured air sack, odd leg, "crunchy" down? When does it end for this baby.

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
A friend of mine has Old English Pheasant Fowl eggs hatch yesterday, so excited to welcome these baby's to the world! Out of 8 eggs, 5 of which I believe were set for lockdown, 2 hatched. One never internally pipped, and the others died passed shortly after pipping. Now one of the two babies has more issues than I've ever seen in a chick. :p The most noticeable issue is she has "crunchy" down. Almost reminds me of a frazzle chick. She's not from frizzle or frazzle parents, so I know thats not the cause, but her down is similar to what a frazzled chickens feathers would look like. Thats the best way to descirbe it. On her head and side theres patches that are completely stuck down slick to her skin. Thinking it's dried yolk or fluid from hatching? It's not membrane, we wet it with water and coconut oil. Some of the dried material came up, but it wasn't membrane material. She also has some spots with very thin, or missing down. I've never seen this before. She's in a brooder with a momma heating pad, her sister, and one Serama chick, soon to be 2.
The next most noticeable issue is her leg. She has one leg that is almost, set forward? It sticks ever so slightly out to the side, and forward if that makes any sense. I can ask for a photo of that. She can still stand upright, walk, and run just fine. Balance is great and it doesn't seem to be bothering her, though her walking is a bit distraught. Tried to make a brace as you would for splayed leg, but it didn't seem to work to well. She could stand with it on, but walking was stressing her, so I took it off. Is that the right treatment? A brace? I'll get a photo so you can get a better idea.
also noticed she had a ruptured air sac right above her crop. I've seen threads about it in the past, so we sterilized a needle and used that to poke it. After a couple pokes, it did deflate. Did we do the right thing there?
Thanks for the help everyone! She seems happy and healthy, none of it seems to be bothering her. I figured I would post here to see if there was anything to do differently.

I have had many chicks with crunchy feathers, all of them survived. I suspect fluid from the egg has something to do with it. if she has splay leg @casportpony should be able to help.
Good luck!
I don't think its splay leg, or at least not sever at all, very very minor. I could be wrong. I don't have much experience with leg issues in chicks, so I'll get a photo tomorrow. Headed down there to check things out tomorrow, so I can update then. Hoping maybe she fixed it herself.

Okay, I figured there wasn't much we could do about that. She'll just be crunchy until she feathers out. :)
Thats interesting. If fluid in the egg has something to do with it, a few of her hatch mates died right before starting to zip. After posting a thread we figured that they drown or suffocated. Reason unknown. Humidity was accurate at 70% during lockdown, 45-50 the rest of the time, though maybe that was too high. Had no issues with 70% humidity in the past, but some of the air cells were ruptured, so maybe its different with eggs like that. :(

Back
Top Bottom