Rural King chicks and home hatched mixes. Can you identify the breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Proverb31mama, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Proverb31mama

Proverb31mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Allen County, IN
    This spring we bought a bunch of $0.75 chicks at Rural King and I'm not sure if they were labeled correctly so I was wondering if you guys could help me identify the breeds?

They were labeled as Isa Browns, Buff Orpingtons, Brown Leghorns, and Ameraucanas. The Isa Browns and Buff Orpingtons we have had before so I can identify them. But I'm not completely sure about the other ones

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]
    These are the Isa Browns and Buff Orpingtons
    [​IMG]
    The white ones on the outside are Cornish cross, I am just wondering about the one in the middle. We have a couple grey ones like that.
    [​IMG]
    I am wondering about the brown and black ones on the edge. We have a bunch of those. I am assuming they are the brown leghorns, but I'm not sure? Most of them have brown heads and brown and black bodies, but one has a black head.
    [​IMG]
    This one looks a bit like an Isa Brown in this picture, but it is actually more mottled like the grey ones and it has a different head shape than an Isa brown.
    [​IMG]
    This one and the picture below are the same chick. It is a darker grey than the others
    [​IMG]

We also hatched out some chicks this spring. And even though we only have brown and black chickens breeding we ended up with several white chickens with black and brown spots (I call them my Dalmatians :)).

The breeds we have are:
    Roosters - 1 Black Astralorp, 1 Bantam mix (I was told that he and his sisters were a mix of Black Silkie, Sebright, and Buff Orpington. They are not true bantams, just small chickens, around the same size, maybe a little smaller than a white leghorn)
    Hens - Buff Orpington, Isa Brown, Black Astralorp, and bantam mixes (same mix as rooster)

Here are some pictures. Do you have any idea what breeds they are mixed from?:

[​IMG]
    I am wondering about the white one with black spots in the middle
    [​IMG]
    I am wondering about the white cockerel in the back
    [​IMG]
    I am wondering about the white one with brown and black spots in the back

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  2. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Of the Rural King chicks, the brown/black ones do look like leghorns. They should have white earlobes, not sure if they are visible yet. The other birds from there all look like "Ameraucaunas" - easter eggers. They should have pea combs.

No clue on your home chicks!

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2 (the Brown/black ones are Leghorns ans the ones you are not sure of look like Easter Eggers)

The white one in the back does look like a possible cockerel. Could you get better pictures?

4. Proverb31mama

May 15, 2015
    Allen County, IN

I know he is a cockerel, he definitely acts like a cockerel :). I was wondering what white breed hatches from brown eggs?

5. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    There are a couple - white rocks and Rhode Island whites being among the most well-known. Your isa brown hen will have one of these breeds as one parent, as one possibility. But the genetics of mixed breeds and non-solid colors is tough to predict with any certainty.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Bo and RSL--you knew that.
    Easter egger
    Brown Leghorn
    Easter egger
    Easter egger

some EE can have a very similar color to a brown Leghorn. If one has a black head, it's probably an EE. Leghorns have yellow legs and straight combs. Dark or green legs or pea combs would be EE.

Your mixed chicks.....

I think they're all from your ISA hens, and the Aussie rooster.

None of them look like they're from the bantams, so I'll rule those out.

Your black rooster will throw mostly black chicks. Black is a pretty dominant color. They're obviously not pure Aussies, and if the buff was the momma they'd be a mix of gold and black.

Your ISA hens carry a gene for white that basically turns black to white. If you look at your hens, and imagine black where their white is, you'd have markings similar to a New Hampshire, a red colombian color. Well, they passed that white on to their chicks. The Aussie father made the chicks basically black, but the momma turned the black to white. It's not a complete suppression, that's why the flecks of black on some of the birds.

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    great explanation from donrae

8. Proverb31mama

May 15, 2015
    Allen County, IN
    Thanks for the info!

So I try not to keep RIR chickens around because of their reputation for aggressiveness and because the one we had was the only semi aggressive chicken we have had. Are the RI whites aggressive too? We would like to keep one or two more roosters to go with the pullets we are keeping, but I don't want any aggressiveness in our yard. We have 1 black cockerel and 2 white cockerels I think. There might be a few more in the chicks that are too young to tell.

Edited because spell check changed RIR to RHR for some reason

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by