1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rural king chicks...questions... :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farrier!, Mar 21, 2009.

1. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I did go by the local Rural King. Chicks were at .75 a piece with a min of 25.

Some were huddling and a few were dead. They did have feed and water for them and lamps (not close enough?)
    I was worried about buying chicks that looked cold. Was I worried too much or did I do the correct thing by waiting for my order to arrive?

1 person likes this.
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A chick shipped then further chilled may not thrive. You could certainly save a few, but be prepared to lose a few if you take them home. Might be worth it at that cheap price to save the poor things.

3. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    in my opinion you could save some lives if you buy them and care for them properly. it IS a good thing that their minimum is 25, it prevents "novelty pets" from being bought and dying due to lack of care from owners.

4. cluckylisa

cluckylisa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Central Minnesota
    Quote:I hadn't thought of the minimum as a deterant to novelty pets. Now it makes sense. See, I learn something new every time I log onto this site!

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I understand the urge to buy them to save them, but.........
    Kind of like with puppy mills, buying them may save the puppies, but brings in more money for the 'breeder', so they keep on breeding, perpetuating the cycle. If no one buys the sick chicks (or puppies), it may prompt the store to take better care of their chicks and/or buy from healthier stock. Either way it's heartbreaking to see animals mistreated.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  6. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:i can also say i agree with this post.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I bet ya alot of them at such a cheap price may be all roos or a very large percentile of roos vs pullets. Today we went to rural king and they only had four small bins of just pullets for 1..19 a piece i believe for Black Aussies and Buff Orps, no other breeds.

For that price, Iwould avoid them.....unless you dont mind getting alot of roos. LOL!

8. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    whenever i get roos i don't need i just eat them when they're size is acceptable. [​IMG] that's what I would do anyhow...

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:i can also say i agree with this post.

Thats why rescues who buy puppies at dog auctions dont save any dogs.

10. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I want to thank everyone for their comments.
    If I did not already have chicks coming in 4 weeks I would try the cheap chicks.
    I just wont have room if I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by