Rural King feed - Country Road

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Roo Boy, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Roo Boy

Roo Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    Ohio
  2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I've never used it. As I recall, it didn't look like a very nutritious feed to me, and the 16% protein content is a bit low. I tried to refresh my memory as to what I objected to, but the link didn't say what's in the feed or the nutrient levels, so there's no way to evaluate it. Sorry.

I see you're in Ohio--are there any Buckley Brothers stores near you? Their BB Layer Mini-Pellets are 18% protein, full of good stuff, and only $13/50 lbs--$3.50 cheaper a bag than Layena, and Layena has a lower protein content. Once I found the BB feeds, I haven't gone back. Since my flock is out to pasture and eats so much green food, I like their layer pellet to have enough protein to compensate.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  3. Roo Boy

Jul 9, 2013
    Ohio

Never heard of Buckley Bros. I will look into them. What do you look for when buying feed? We were using Flock Raiser, but the price is getting too much. We now use Gerber and Sons feed from Baltic Ohio.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Hey, my dad buys cattle feed from Gerber's!

I look for a higher protein percentage, and if I wasn't selling eggs I'd want a feed with animal protein in it. I think chickens do better with animal protein, but my customers flip out about "meat by products" so I use a vegetarian feed. I wish I had a few feed tags here, as I did a bunch of research into different feeds a year ago, but settled on Buckley Brothers (they're out of Wilmington, but have drive thrus around central Ohio). I remember that BB had a higher protein level and carried a few trace minerals, etc. that was missing from the Faler's Feed Mill feed I'd been using, and the price was $2 cheaper a bag, so that was an easy decision for me.

I'm leery of anything that Rural King sells. It's the WalMart of chicken feeds, and I'd never feed my dog Old Roy. How much is Gerber's selling their own feed for? What's the protein percentage? Have you compared it to the national brand to see what the differences are? Gerbers might even give you a couple of feed tags so you can decide at home--that's what BB did for me when I was comparing. You might even have Gerbers mix up some feed to your specs. We have a local mill that would mix up batches as small as 300lbs for us, but they can't pelletize and we need pellets--wetting mash is too much of a pain in the butt to me, and you have to worry about spoilage so much.

5. Roo Boy

Jul 9, 2013
    Ohio
    http://www.gerberandsons.com/products/tags/poultry/16_layer_tag.html

What's your thoughts on this? I can get 50lbs for 12.50

6. WalkingOnSunshine

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I think the price is a bit high for the protein levels, although they do have good levels of lysine and methionine. I'd ask them what they mean by "protein products," "roughage products" etc. I don't like it when they hide what's in the feed that way.

Here's the Buckley Brothers. Note the higher protein and the fish meal--it's not meat protein, but the fish is a good substitute that doesn't freak my customers out. Unfortunately, I don't think they have any stores near you. http://www.buckleybrosinc.com/images/E0221901/BB_OPTI_LAY_MINI_Pellet.pdf

I'm with you on finding a cheaper source of feed. Purina products are over $16 a bag near me.

7. Roo Boy

Jul 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Thanks for the insight. I think Gerber is a good feed. My girls are on it now. I do think it contains a lot of corn though as a filler.

8. FerdinandsFlock

FerdinandsFlock New Egg

Apr 9, 2013
    Buckley Bros. is great, if you ask me. Our birds are doing great on it. Nice hard shells and gorgeous dark yolks...and (not sure if it has anything to do with the feed) but they've still been laying pretty consistently even in this freezing cold. Of course, we're just outside wilmington, so it's easy for us to get- but they are great people in there and I love being able to support a local place that really knows what is good for the animals and has quality product (and really good prices). I strongly recommend them[​IMG]

9. Lville poultry

Lville poultry New Egg

Mar 6, 2014
    I use country roads as a chick starter/grower, scratch, and layer. I haven't had any problems with egg production or chicken happiness.

10. Roo Boy

Jul 9, 2013
    Ohio
    I just switched to Nutrena and really like it. Egg production is great and poo poo is much less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by