RURAL KING is selling Cornish X chicks!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ducks4you, Sep 21, 2009.

1. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    For those of you in IL, IN, MI OH KY and TN that have a store, Rural King is now selling Cornish Cross chicks @ $1.50/each, minimum purchase, 25 chicks. I called another store--We will have one opening Oct. 1st in Champaign--and they thought it unusual to sell chicks in store this time of year, too.

NOT to feed anyone's obssessions......... [​IMG]

2. Von

Von Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    What can you tell me about the Cornish Cross chicks? I know very little... are they meat birds?

3. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    They are advertising them as "ready to dress in 6 weeks." BEFORE you get any, you might want to do a search on BYC about feeding and care. Several members that raise Cornish have posted recently about their unique requirements.
    I'm thinking seriously about it, but I haven't bought them YET!
    Tomorrow I'm going with a friend to the University of Illinois Tuesday morning weekly egg sale to ask if and when the AG dept sells chicks. (We work in Urbana, live 22 miles away from C-U, so this is home.) If they have a small meat bird that is a comparable price, I might buy from them.

I just wanted to share this because I thought it unusual to be selling chicks at this store at this time of year. Usually their "Chick Days" are in the Spring.

BTW, I could not BELIEVE what the U of I is selling eggs for:
    3 dozen/$2.99 !!
    It makes my RIR pullet eggs much more expensive!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by